Dramatic improvements in capacity, efficiency, and accuracy for instant PLI refresh and communications across the battlefield
Instant, accurate friend-or-foe position mapping and comms to help mobile warfighters make split-second life-or-death decisions and mission maneuvers in the fog of war
Proven performance and reliability with satellite transceivers for ground vehicles and rotor/fixed-wing aircraft
Embedded, NIST-certified FIPS-140-2 Level 2 AES-256 link-layer encryption ensures secure satellite connectivity to protect sensitive communications
Blue Force Tracking 2
By upgrading the US Army and Marine Corps Blue Force Tracking network, Viasat brings real-time situational awareness and better networking capabilities to the warfighter with BFT-2. The next-generation Blue Force Tracking 2 network and transceivers provide dramatic improvements in situational awareness through faster Position Location Information (PLI) refresh rates and timely Command & Control (C2) communications across the battlefield compared to the legacy system. This BFT-2 system delivers improved network efficiency and reduces the Department of Defense total operational expenditure for the specified capability. The US Army began fielding of BFT-2 in April 2012.
The next-generation BFT-2 system offers more accuracy and capacity than the original system, providing real-time location updates, instant messaging, and IP-capable networking to mobile air and ground platforms. We supply the BFT-2 network with air and ground transceivers, satellite ground stations, and network control centers, as well as satellite and terrestrial communications services. With BFT-2, network users around the world can achieve real-time position accuracy by operating through a Ground Vehicular Transceiver or Aviation Transceiver globally. The average round-trip message latency through the network has been demonstrated and proven to be less than two seconds.
Viasat provides the following equipment and services in the new BFT-2:
- Small BFT-2 satellite terminals for a variety of ground vehicles and rotor/fixed wing aircraft
- Hub equipment for high-speed two-way access to ground and airborne terminals
- FIPS 140-2 Level 2 data link security to protect from adversarial traffic analysis and data probing
- Network Operations Center (NOC) equipment for overall network monitoring and control
- Backbone network to connect all FBCB2 NOCs into a single network for worldwide interoperability
- Integration with fielded and future FBCB2 software versions
- Engineering services in support of the BFT-2 network