Viasat Broadband System Terminal Deliveries Reach 2 Million
Carlsbad, Calif. – March 10, 2014 – With installations in North America, Europe, and the Middle East Viasat Inc. (Nasdaq: VSAT) has delivered over 2 million of its Ka-band broadband satellite terminals, making it the leading choice for Internet by satellite. The two million terminal total includes over one million second generation broadband terminals, which are part of the Exede satellite services network that features the world’s highest capacity satellite, Viasat-1.
Customers and partners are using the family of satellite broadband terminals for consumer, enterprise, on-the-move, and portable applications because the Viasat Broadband System changes the economics and performance of satellite communications for a number of markets:
- Residential Internet that has enabled satellite to overtake all ISPs in delivering promised speeds, transforming satellite broadband from last-resort to a great Internet alternative.
- Live event communications with sufficient capacity to supply thousands of spectators, vendors, sponsors, broadcasters and organizers with HD video streaming and high-speed data simultaneously, at virtually any location.
- Faster in-flight Internet that can provide a guaranteed service level to everyone onboard, encouraging much higher take rates and engagement among passengers.
- Economics that enable the real-time broadcast of big moments in life such as weddings, local sports, and graduations.
- Portability that enables an office-like, enterprise-level broadband connection virtually anywhere with multiple simultaneous Internet connections.
“The applications – residential Internet, newsgathering, in-flight Internet, and enterprise – are familiar, but the service performance, ability to serve millions of users with high-speed services, and operation with the highest capacity Ka-band satellites are what distinguishes Viasat broadband from other systems that may be labeled high throughput satellite,” said John Zlogar, VP of Viasat Commercial Networks.
The new delivery milestones continue the success of SurfBeam®, the first satellite networking system designed from the ground up for economical, mass-market broadband networking. The Viasat Broadband System combines the terminal integration, data speeds, network scale, and management systems needed to deliver a fast web experience that enables satellite service to compete effectively against terrestrial alternatives such as DSL and terrestrial wireless.
Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to the safe harbors created under the Securities Act of 1933 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Forward looking statements include statements about satellite broadband Internet connections, speed, and capacity. Readers are cautioned that actual results could differ materially from those expressed in any forward-looking statements. Factors that could cause actual results to differ include the ability to successfully develop, introduce, and sell new products and enhancements; contractual problems; product defects; manufacturing issues or delays; regulatory issues; technologies not being developed according to anticipated schedules, or that do not perform according to expectations; increased competition; the ability to successfully implement Viasat’s business plan for broadband satellite services on Viasat’s anticipated timeline or at all; risks associated with the construction, launch and operation of Viasat’s satellites, including the effect of any anomaly, operational failure or degradation in satellite performance; and other factors affecting the communications industry generally. In addition, please refer to the risk factors contained in Viasat’s SEC filings available at www.sec.gov, including Viasat’s most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on any forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date on which they are made. Viasat undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements for any reason.