Many airlines and their employees are stepping up in a variety of ways
As a provider of in-flight connectivity solutions for many types of airlines, aircraft and business jets, Viasat has been an aviation industry partner for a number of years. During the COVID-19 emergency, we’ve been made even more aware of how this industry provides critical links and connections throughout the world.
In recent weeks, it’s been inspiring to see how the aviation industry has come together to lend a hand where it’s needed - this despite some of the hardship being experienced by the industry itself. Here are just a few examples:
- American Airlines, United Airlines and many others are taking advantage of empty and near-empty aircraft to help move medical supplies and other cargo where it’s needed most.
- AerLingus made a tremendous effort to get some €30m in protective equipment from Beijing to medical professionals in Ireland who needed it.
- SAS – Scandinavian Airlines has been helping send emergency teams to provide medical support to northern Italy. The airline has also helped ship donated medical supplies from Hong Kong to Sweden.
- NetJets made a special delivery run of N95 masks and other crucial medical equipment to Mt. Sinai hospital in New York.
- JetBlue has been busy flying medical device cargo, donating cots and blankets to medical workers in New York and also providing tools for schools, teachers and students through the JetBlue Foundation and Soar With Reading Initiative.
- Finnair Cargo is keeping its A350 aircraft in the sky to fly food and medical supplies between Asia and Europe.
- Qantas is still operating its international freight service to fly vital goods to and from Australia.
We’re sure these efforts represent just the beginning of a commitment from the aviation industry to help out now and in the months ahead. Here at Viasat, we have been impressed, but not surprised, by the generosity of the collective aviation industry. Viasat is proud to stand in partnership with our customers and partners around the world.
STAY UP TO DATE WITH OUR LATEST NEWS